Coconut-Carrot Morning Glory Muffins (from Eating Well magazine)
ACTIVE: 20 MIN
TOTAL: 1 HR
- 1 cup whole-wheat or white
- whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled
- oats plus 2 Tbsp., divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (see Tip),
- melted if necessary
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded
- coconut plus 2 Tbsp., divided
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt
and allspice in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in
coconut oil. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in
carrots, 1/2 cup coconut and raisins.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 2
tablespoons each oats and coconut.
5. Bake the muffins until they spring back when lightly touched and a
toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached,
30 to 35 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before turning
out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
MAKES: 1 DOZEN MUFFINS
TIP: Look for coconut oil, in jars or tubs, near other cooking oils. It is solid at
temperatures below 76°F. To melt solidified coconut oil, remove the lid and
place the container in a bowl of very hot water; stir frequently until melted.